There Were 11 DUI’s Over The Weekend In Williams County
Law enforcement officials in WIlliston and Williams County were busy over the weekend. Would you believe there were 11 DUI arrests made this weekend alone?
According to the Vision Zero website, there were 4080 DUI arrests in 2021 and we have seen 2714 so far for 2022. We have not seen as many in 2022, but even one is too many. With the holidays rolling in fast, now is the time is now to get even more serious about not drinking and driving.
North Dakota Law for Driving Under the Influence
A person may not drive or be in actual physical control of a vehicle while under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs while having a blood alcohol level content (BAC) of .08 or more.
- Refusal to submit to a chemical test as required by law may be considered a crime and may result in revocation of driving privileges for 180 days to 3 years.
- Penalty for a DUI with a minor in the vehicle is imprisonment for 360 days and/or a $3,000 fine.
- Criminal Vehicular Injury results in up to 5 years imprisonment.
- Criminal Vehicular Homicide results in up to 20 years imprisonment
What can you do to be a responsible driver?
- Always drive sober and alert.
- Don't let your family members or friends drive under the influence.
- Never take a ride with a driver who has been drinking alcohol.
- Before drinking alcohol, choose a non-drinking friend as a designated driver.
- If you have been drinking alcohol, call a family member, friend, cab or ride service for a sober ride home.
- When you see an impaired driver, always call 9-1-1 and report it.
The holidays are meant to be a fun time with family and friends. It can also be a bit stressful. Be smart. Don't drive impaired and end up spending your holiday in jail, or even causing an unnecessary accident that could kill someone.